Gobble ‘Til You Wobble with Grilled Turkey this Father’s Day
Father’s Day weekend is fast approaching, and what’s a better way to show your appreciation for Dad than with a delicious barbecued meal? Whether it be Sriracha Grilled Turkey, Turkey Taco Burgers, or BBQ Turkey Skewers, barbecuing a tasty, nutritious turkey dish for Dad on Father’s Day is a great way to show him some love.
Turkey isn’t something people typically associate with barbecuing, but it really is a great alternative to other proteins that are grill favourites. Here are some tips to ensure your bird is grilled to perfection.
- Try butterflying boneless, skinless turkey breasts. A thinner cut means less time on the grill at a higher temperature.
- To achieve an authentic barbecued look, place a whole turkey breast on the grill on high heat to sear both sides, then reduce the heat and allow it to cook through slowly.
- If you’re using a bone-in turkey breast, begin by searing the fleshy side, then rotate it and cook the bone on lower heat. This allows the meat to retain its moisture.
- Keep an eye out for hot spots on your grill. Hot spots could cause your turkey to cook inconsistently, so try your best to keep the meat over an even temperature.
- You can also transform your barbecue into an oven by heating up one side of the grill at the medium-high setting and placing the meat on the unlit side. Close the lid and allow the turkey to cook for roughly 25 minutes. If you’re feeling adventurous, add some smoking chips to enhance the flavour of the turkey even further, and consult the instructions on the bag for further instruction.
In addition to being tender, flavourful and downright mouth-watering, turkey is naturally lean, low in cholesterol protein that can be easily enjoyed year-round. It contains essential nutrients such as niacin, zinc, and Vitamins B6 and B12, all of which aid in boosting heart health while lowering cancer risk. Another plus? It’s naturally low in sodium, so put down the salt shaker and feel good about serving up some barbecued deliciousness.
It’s said that the fastest way to someone’s heart is through their stomach, so take a hold of the tongs this Father’s Day and make Dad a meal he won’t forget.
Visit ontarioturkey.ca for more recipes and information pertaining to Ontario turkey.
Turkey Farmers of Ontario is located in Kitchener, Ontario and represents 179 turkey farmers across the province. The producer-run, producer-funded organization has been achieving success in the turkey industry for over 45 years, and continues to ensure humane treatment and care of turkeys while providing safe, high-quality food to consumers.