Best Ever Turkey Chili
Makes approx 12- 1 ¼ cup servings. Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced celery (about 5 stalks)
- 1 – 1.5 cups (375 mL) diced onion
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each, dried oregano, ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1.5 lbs (750 g) ground Ontario turkey
- 4 cups (1 L) canned diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed (19oz/540mL can)
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced roasted red pepper, or diced sweet green pepper
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen or canned corn, drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a large pot on medium, heat oil. Add celery and onion; sauté until softened. Add garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, oregano, cumin and cayenne pepper; cook 1 minute.
Add Ground Turkey; sauté until meat is cooked and slightly browned. Stir in tomatoes, beans, roasted pepper, tomato paste and bay leaf. Reduce heat; simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add corn and simmer 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Great with pita chips and a dollop of sour cream or a sprinkle of shredded cheddar!