Easy Turkey Falafel
cook time: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) green onions, sliced
- 6 tbsp (90 g) olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lemon juice (reserve zest)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb (454 mL) turkey, skinless and boneless, cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion, sliced
- 4 pita bread
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) hummus
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tahini
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) hot sauce (optional)
In a large bowl, combine, cabbage, carrots, green onion, 4 tbsp (60 mL) olive oil and lemon juice. Mix well. Season coleslaw with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In another bowl, season turkey with cumin, salt and pepper, and lemon zest. Heat remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) of olive oil in a pan. Sauté seasoned turkey and sliced onions stirring often until turkey is fully cooked and golden crisp.
Gently warm the pita either in the microwave or oven. Cut the top 1″ from each pita and open the pockets. Spread the inside of each pita with hummus. Next, spoon the coleslaw mixture to fill 1/3 of each pita. Divide the turkey mixture evenly between the four pita. Add chopped tomatoes and cucumbers. Top with coleslaw mixture again to fill each pita and then spoon tahini and hot sauce (if using) evenly over the four pitas. Enjoy!