Grecian Turkey Casserole
Prep time: Cook time: Makes: 6 Servings
- 1 lb (454 g) ground Ontario turkey
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) onions, chopped very fine
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) mint leaves – finely sliced
- ½ cup (120 mL) parsley, chopped fine
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled Feta cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato sauce
- 4 medium zucchini, finely sliced lengthwise
- 9 slices, fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) bread cubes, ½” cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
In a medium bowl mix together the ground turkey, cooked rice, onions, tomato paste, garlic, mint, ¼ cup parsley and ½ cup of feta cheese (reserve half the parsley and feta for topping). Season with salt and pepper.
In a 9″ square baking dish spread one cup of the tomato sauce on the bottom. Cover with a layer of zucchini slices and then top with half the dolma mixture. Follow this with a layer tomato slices and then the remaining dolma mixture and then another layer of zucchini. Top with the final cup of the tomato sauce.
Mix together the bread cubes, olive oil, and the remaining feta cheese and parsley. Spread evenly over the top of the dolma. Bake for 40 minutes and serve hot.