Soy Wild Rice Turkey Roll
Prep time: Cook time: Makes: 8 servings
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped broccoli
- Half red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) cooked wild rice
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sodium reduced tamari, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice vinegar, divided
- 1 egg white
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Asian garlic chili paste or Tabasco sauce
- 1 boneless skinless Ontario turkey breast (about 2 lb/1kg)
In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add broccoli and red pepper and cook for 3 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add rice and water chestnuts and cook for 2 minutes or until warmed through. Remove from heat and add 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the vinegar and stir to combine. Let cool completely. Stir in egg white.
Using chef’s knife, slice turkey breast horizontally in half almost all the way through. Open like a book and using meat mallet, pound turkey to about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. Spread rice mixture over turkey breast. Roll up; jellyroll style and using kitchen string tie roll in 2-inch (5 cm) intervals. Place in small shallow roasting pan.
In a small bowl, whisk together remaining soy sauce, rice vinegar and Asian chili paste. Pour over turkey breast, turning to coat all over. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 4 hours.
Roast in 325 F (160 C) oven for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 180 F (82 C). Let stand 10 minutes before slicing into ½ inch (1 cm) thick slices.
Roast Turkey Breast: 2 lbs (1kg) skinless, bone-in Ontario turkey breast
Roast turkey in a 400°F (200°C) oven for about 1 hour to an internal temperature of 170°F (77°C). Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing off the bone.