Thai Coconut Turkey Soup
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks lemon grass (optional)
- 1 lemon, zested, retain juice
- 1 lime, zested, retain juice
- 2 cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) red pepper flakes
- 1 lb (455 g) Ontario turkey, cut into bite-size strips
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 3 cups (750 mL) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh Thai or regular basil, chopped
In a large pot, combine stock, ginger, lemon grass, lemon and lime zest. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the coconut milk, red pepper flakes, turkey, lemon and lime juice sugar and soy sauce.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes or until turkey is cooked through. Add mushrooms and red pepper and continue to cook for 10 more minutes. Remove lemon grass stalks, stir in green onions and serve!
Add some cooked basmati rice for a complete meal in a bowl!