Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Serves/Yield: 4 to 6
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 each carrot and celery stalk, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pkg (450 g) ground turkey
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 jar (650 mL) strained tomatoes (passata)
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) turkey broth or water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh basil or parsley leaves (optional)
In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Cook carrot, celery, onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until softened. Add turkey and cook, stirring and breaking up meat for about 8 minutes or until no longer pink. Add wine and simmer until almost all has evaporated. Stir in tomato paste to coat meat and vegetables. Add passata, milk, broth, salt, hot pepper flakes and bay leaves; bring to a simmer. Cover partially and let simmer, stirring occasionally for about 1 hour or until sauce is thickened and looks rich and creamy.
Remove bay leaves to serve. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
Tip: This sauce will easily cover 1 lb (454 g) of your favourite cooked pasta.