Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 dozen
- 3/4 lb (360 g) ground Ontario turkey
- Half a green bell pepper, finely chopped
- Half a small onion, finely chopped
- Half a jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded old Cheddar cheese
- 2 pkgs (400 g each) pie pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
In large non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat cook turkey, green pepper, onion, jalapeno, garlic, chili pepper and oregano for about 5 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink. Stir in salsa, salt and pepper; cook until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Scrape into bowl; cover and refrigerate until cold.
Unroll pastry and cut out 4 inch/10 cm rounds. Place about 1 tbsp (15 mL) of filling onto one half of the round. Whisk together egg and water; brush around edge of pastry. Fold in half and seal edges well, creating a half moon. Press edge with fork if desired. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining ingredients.
Brush top of pastry with egg mixture and bake in 425 F (220 C) oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.