Turkey Philly Cheesesteak
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pkg (8 oz/227 g) sliced mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 1 lb (454 g) turkey scaloppini (turkey breast slices), cut into strips
- 4 soft hoagie (sausage) buns, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, softened
- 12 slices provolone cheese
Pickled Jalapeno Aioli:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped pickled jalapeños
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) pickled jalapeno juice
- Pinch each salt and pepper
Pickled Jalapeno Aioli: In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, pickled jalapeños, juice, salt and pepper; set aside.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes or until starting to become golden. Add mushrooms, pepper and half each of the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring for about 12 minutes or until deep golden and tender. Remove to plate.
Return skillet to medium-high heat and add remaining oil. Saute turkey with remaining salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Return onion mixture to skillet and toss to combine well.
Spread butter over inside of buns and place on baking sheet. Divide turkey mixture among buns and top with cheese slices. Place in 400 F (200 C) oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and buns are light golden.
Spread sandwiches with aioli and more pickled jalapeños if desired.