Prep time: Cook time: Makes: 4 servings
- 2 bunches scallions, chopped and divided
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 1″ (2.5 cm) piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 dried shiitake mushroom
- 12 cups (3L) turkey stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) soy sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 10-oz. (300 g) package fresh ramen noodles or 3 3-oz.(100 g) packages dried
- 1 lb (454 g) leftover cooked Ontario turkey meat, sliced or shredded
- 2 toasted nori sheets, halved and quartered
- Shichimi togarachi (Japanese seven spice) and additional soy sauce (optional)
In a large stockpot, combine half of the scallions, carrots, garlic, ginger, shiitake and stock; bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming occasionally, until stock is reduced to about 8 cups (2 L), about 1 hour. Strain stock through a sieve into a clean pot. Stir in soy sauce. (Make ahead: Broth can be made 2 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill.)
While the broth is simmering, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Carefully add eggs and boil gently 7 minutes. (Egg yolks will be shiny yellow and almost jammy; egg whites will be just set.) Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking; let cool completely. Peel; set aside.
Meanwhile, cook ramen noodles in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions until al dente; drain.
Divide noodles among deep bowls. Top with turkey, placing it off to one side. Ladle very hot broth over turkey and noodles. Halve eggs and place a half on top of noodles in each bowl. Mound some of the remaining scallions next to egg and tuck half a sheet of nori along edge of bowl so half of it is sticking out.
Tip: Serve ramen sprinkled with Shichimi togarachi and soy sauce if desired.
Per serving: About 351 cal, 6 g total fat, 23 g carb, 3 g fibre, 49 g protein,192 mg chol, 2652 mg sodium. %RDI: iron: 8%, calcium 11%, vit A 87%, vit C 17%