Turkey Sausage Shakshuka
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- 1 lb (454 g) Ontario Turkey sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 each, yellow and red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped parsley
- 1 28 oz (796 mL) can whole tomatoes
- 2 fresh (or dried) bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) saffron threads
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch each sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) roughly torn cilantro
In a large deep skillet brown the turkey sausage until golden and cooked through, breaking up the pieces with the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, heat the oil over medium high heat and sauté the onion, peppers, thyme and parsley. Continue cooking for 5-10 minutes, or until softened and golden.
Add the tomatoes and their juices breaking them up with a spoon, bay leaves, saffron, cayenne, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves and return sausage to the pan. Make 4 spaces in the hot pepper and sausage mixture and carefully break an egg into each one. Cook on a very low heat for 10 minutes, or just until the eggs are just set but the yolks are still runny. Sprinkle with cilantro, salt and pepper and serve.
Tip: Prepare and serve individual portions in ramekins.
Per serving: About 367 cal, 18 g total fat, 20 g carb, 4 g fibre, 31 g protein, 297 mg chol, 1098 mg sodium. %RDI: iron: 25%, calcium 11%, vit A 61%, vit C 307%