Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- 6 medium sweet yellow peppers
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 mL) onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) celery, finely diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rosemary, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 lb (454 g) fresh ground Ontario turkey
- ¾ cup (180 mL) salsa
- ½ cup (120 mL) fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked rice
- ½ cup (120 mL) shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- ¼ cup (60 mL) parsley, coarsely chopped, divided
- ¼ cup (60 mL) breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). To prepare the peppers for stuffing, cut the tops off and remove seeds and flesh from inside. Finely dice the pepper tops for use in stuffing. Microwave peppers on high, inverted on a paper towel for four minutes. Let cool.
In a large saucepan add the olive oil, onions, celery, rosemary, garlic, the diced pepper from above and cook until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the ground turkey and continue cooking until the turkey is cooked through. Add to this the salsa, peas, rice, ¼ cup of the Asiago cheese and half the parsley. Fold together and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, mix together the breadcrumbs, ¼ cup of Asiago cheese and half the parsley, set to the side for use as the topping.
Stuff the peppers with the cooked turkey mixture. Get as much in as possible, pressing down occasionally. Place the stuffed peppers in a baking dish. Pour the broth in the baking dish (about 1 cup – just to cover the bottom of the pan). Top the peppers with Asiago, breadcrumb and parsley mixture. Bake for 35 minutes until the peppers are soft and the filling is hot.